Categories: Energy Saving Tips | Posted: July 2, 2015 | Comments Off on AC TIPS for a Cooler Home
Keep your home cool for less this season by following these simple tips from NES Power.
- Depending on the amount of pet hair, dust and lint in your home, replace the filters in your central air conditioning system on a regular basis.
- Keep the outside part of your air conditioning unit clean and free of debris and grass clippings.
- Set the temperature on the thermostat to 78 degrees or at the highest comfortable temperature if you will be away from the home all day so that you don’t pay to cool an empty house.
- Don’t put lamps near the thermostat. It will sense the heat from them and cause the air conditioner to run more than it needs to.
- Avoid using dishwashers, washing machines and clothes dryers that create heat and humidity on hot days. Run appliances late in the evening or at night when the temperature is lower.
Categories: Energy Saving Tips | Posted: June 18, 2015 | Comments Off on Summer Energy Saving Tips
Lower your energy bills this summer and help save the environment with these helpful tips.
- Use your microwave for cooking. It uses two-thirds less energy than a stove.
- Use your dishwasher. It uses less water than washing by hand. Run full loads and turn off the dry cycle and let the dishes air-dry to save even more!
- Fill up the fridge with food to keep it from warming up too fast when the door is open.
- Set the thermostat to 78 degrees when at home and 85 degrees when you are away.
- Use ceiling fans or room fans, this allows you to set the thermostat higher because the air movement will cool the room.
- Avoid running your appliances during peak hours, 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. This also helps to prevent power outages.
- Save energy by turning off appliances, lights and equipment when not in use.
- Unplug electronic devices and chargers when they aren’t in use – most still use electricity even when switched “off”.
- Replace air conditioner filters, this will prevent the airflow from being restricted which causes the system to run longer.
- Set the washing machine to warm or cold water setting for washing clothes.
- Run full loads when using the dryer and use the moisture-sensing setting. Clean the lint trap after each use.
- Close blinds and drapes during peak sunlight hours. Install patio covers and solar window tinting to reduce and conserve energy.